Reaching out in love and service
Mothers’ Union is an international Christian membership charity that aims to demonstrate the Christian faith in action through the transformation of communities worldwide.
We are working with people of all faiths and none in 83 countries to promote stable marriage, family life and the protection of children through praying, enabling and campaigning.
Our aims and objectives are:
- To promote and support married life
- To encourage parents in their role to develop the faith of their children
- To maintain a worldwide fellowship of Christians united in prayer, worship and service
- To promote conditions in society favourable to stable family life and the protection of children
- To help those whose family life has met with adversity
Our vision is of a world where God’s love is shown through loving, respectful and flourishing relationships. This is not a vague hope, but a goal we actively pursue by praying, campaigning and enabling.
Mothers’ Union is a Christian mission organisation working with people of all faiths and none. Mothers’ Union is firmly rooted in a voluntary ethos centred on mutual respect and collaboration. Our governance, leadership and programmes are undertaken and driven by members within their own communities worldwide.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and love your neighbour as yourself.”
Our members are not all mothers, or even all women. They are single, married, parents, grandparents, or young adults just beginning to express their social conscience. Mothers’ Union provides, for all four million members, a network through which they can serve Christ in their own community – through prayer, financial support and actively working at the grassroots level in programmes that meet local needs.
Mothers’ Union Winchester Diocese
Here in southern England, our members are doing just that: working individually and corporately to make the life of either one, or many families, just a little bit better.
“There are lots of ways that I can praise…” go the words of a children’s song… and there are very many ways in which we actively praise God by taking action. We
- give families in crisis and difficulty the chance of a holiday through our “Away From It All” (AFIA) Family Holiday scheme;
- look to support prisoners and the chaplaincies of two prisons in our region;
- work as individuals and small groups in many parishes running or supporting children’s groups, parenting groups, marriage and baptism preparation, child contact centres, women’s refuges;
- seek to educate ourselves and others about things that impact on contemporary family life: media, drugs, relationships, the social policy of our government and the UN;
- prayerfully, and where possible, practically help Mothers’ Union supporters and workers in our international links and projects;
- meet for fellowship, prayer and to keep informed about latest developments in all these areas of our work, knowing that through our work, people can experience the love of Christ, and have the opportunity to discover or develop a personal relationship with God.
It is hoped you will be able to find information about our activities and how you can get involved, and, through our postings keep you up to date with relevant news, events and links that relate to our work.
Thanks for visiting us.