Mothers’ Union across the world ‘support’ Winchester Cathedral.
In 1912 Mothers’ Union members from around the British Empire subscribed to pay 1d (penny) each for two of the supporting buttresses required along the south wall of the Cathedral Nave in recognition of Mary Sumner’s ‘work for the sanctity of home life’ and the support of her husband.
The plaques are still visible.
George and Mary Sumner are both buried in the graveyard to the south-east of the Cathedral, known as ‘Paradise’.
Commemorated in the Anglican calendar on 9th August, local members annually place flowers on her grave on that date, followed by a service of prayer and dedication at St Mary’s Old Alresford.